Saturday, October 12, 2013

Night of Terror #12: 'The Madmen of Mandoras'

Note: I saw this under its original title, The Madmen of Mandoras, not its later and vastly superior title They Saved Hitler's Brain. A cursory reading of stuff on the internet suggests that the latter title isn't just a different title, but an actually different version of the movie with extra footage added.

This is definitely one of those movies that I must admit I don't know how to appraise. On the one hand, it's incompetent on pretty much every level, from the writing to the staging of action, to the acting, on down to the depiction of the disembodied head of Adolf Hitler. And yet it's also one of the most entertaining movies I've seen in a while - well-paced, never boring, and it depicts the disembodied head of Adolf Hitler.

I can't really say much about The Madmen of Mandoras other than that, but I would like to point out some similarities between this and the Harry Palmer spy adventure Billion Dollar Brain: Both movies feature radical separatist groups taking orders from a computer/disembodied head of Adolf Hitler and both movies feature villainous Texas oilmen in key roles. Is Adolf Hitler's disembodied head worth a billion dollars, or does it come cheaper than an autonomous supercomputer? I'm no accountant but judging by how quickly it melted once it caught fire I'd say the disembodied head of Adolf Hitler probably came at a pretty deep discount. 

The disembodied head of Adolf Hitler.

No comments:

Post a Comment